INSTRUCTIONS. The following exercises are to be answered by marking the lettered response that best answers the question or by completing the incomplete statement or by writing the answer in the space provided.
After you have completed all the exercises, turn to "Solutions to Exercises" at the end of the lesson and check your answers. For each incorrect answer, reread the material referenced after the answer.
1. Define food deterioration.
2. Define food spoilage.
3. Define abnormal.
4. Define quality.
5. Define wholesomeness.
6. Define serviceability.
7. Define adulteration.
8. The physical senses are used to evaluate four characteristics of a food item. The four characteristics are:
9. Define closed-package inspection.
10. Define open-package inspection.
11. The six major causes of food deterioration are:
12. The chemical compounds that are formed or produced in potatoes due to exposure to light are_and_.
13. Describe the following abnormal characteristics of freezer burn: Color_.
14. The color change in freezer burn is due to_and_
causing the light to be_differently.
15. The three types of rancidity and their causes are:
16. Sour odors and flavors are due to_
17. Fluid milk and dairy products are subject to several modes of deterioration. Three modes of deterioration are:
18. Cheese varieties are subject to several modes of deterioration. Four modes of cheese deterioration are:
19. Frozen meats, poultry, and fish undergo several modes of deterioration. Four of those modes are:
20. Dehydrated foods are subject to several modes of deterioration. Four of those modes are:
21. Canned fruits and vegetables are subject to several modes of deterioration. Four of those modes are:
22. Select the recommendation where the percent loss or deterioration is determined by the veterinary food inspection specialist.
a. Priority issue.
b. Rework, repack, recoup.
23. Select the recommendation that indicates a decrease in serviceability (as applied to perishable subsistence).
a. Priority issue.
b. Issue locally.
24. There are conditions that are confused with deterioration. Write the condition below the product where it is found.
25. Which of the following deteriorative conditions is responsible for the darkening of freshly peeled fruit?
b. Enzymatic degradation. c Surface slime.
d. Nonenzymatic browning.
Was this article helpful?
Acai, Maqui And Many Other Popular Berries That Will Change Your Life And Health. Berries have been demonstrated to be some of the healthiest foods on the planet. Each month or so it seems fresh research is being brought out and new berries are being exposed and analyzed for their health giving attributes.