INSTRUCTIONS. The following exercises are to be answered by marking the lettered response that best answers the question or best completes the incomplete statement or by writing the answer in the space provided. Follow special instructions for matching items.
After you have completed all the exercises, turn to "Solutions to Exercises" at the end of the lesson and check your answers. For each incorrect answer, reread the material referenced after the answer.
1. Low-acid foods are defined as foods with a pH:
2. Bacterial spores survive insufficient processing. The resultant spoilage is due to spores of_species and_species.
a. Pseudomonas and Proteus.
b. Bacillus and Clostridium.
c. Bacillus and Penicillium.
d. Clostridium and Lactobacillus.
3. In low-acid foods, the most common forms of thermophilic spoilage and the causative microorganisms are:
4. Define commercially sterile. It is the condition achieved by application of_
in such a way as to render food free of:
(1 )__of microorganisms having__
(2) other microorganisms of_significance but capable of
_in the food under normal nonrefrigerated storage and distribution.
5. When spoilage occurs in a closed container of canned foods, one may observe the following changes:
6. Acid foods are defined as foods with a pH:
7. All of the following microorganisms will grow at a pH of 4.6 or lower except:
a. Bacillus coagulans.
b. Clostridium pasteurianum.
c. Byssochamys fulva.
d. Clostridium botulinum.
8. During the inspection of canned apple juice, you notice a slimy, unpleasant consistency. This condition is probably due to:
a. Lactobacillus species.
b. Streptococcus pyogenes.
c. Leuconostoc mesenteroides.
d. Bacillus thermus.
9. If canned hams are not adequately processed, souring of the product may be due to:
a. Streptococcus aureus.
b. Streptococcus faecium.
c. Bacillus species.
10. Canned tomato juice is subject to flat sour spoilage due to:
a. Bacillus bailii.
b. Clostridium perfringens.
c. Streptococcus coagulans.
d. Bacillus coagulans.
11. The spoilage of mayonnaise and salad dressing is caused by_
INSTRUCTIONS. In exercises 12 through 15, match the product in Column A with the microbial condition in Column B. Each microbial condition in Column B may be used only once.
Canned apricots. Fruit juice. Bread.
Was this article helpful?