The post-voiding residual (PVR) urine is defined as the volume of fluid remaining in the bladder immediately following the completion of micturition and—
• Allows simple generalization about the urinary tract
• Should routinely follow after uroflowmetry
• Is an integral aspect of urodynamic evaluation and should follow the micturition phase of pressure-flow studies
• Provides data on interaction between detrusor activity and outlet obstruction
• Is prone to variations depending on patient surroundings, initial pre-micturition bladder volume and measuring techniques
• Repeated measurements improve validity
Was this article helpful?